Microsoft Dynamics AX2012 allows adding a new dimension to an existing account structure. You have to do it in the same way as the initial set up of the financial dimensions.
Go to Company General Ledger -> Setup -> Financial dimensions -> Financial dimensions -> click “new” to create the new dimension (1)
Name the new dimension by clicking on financial dimension values (2).
You will also have to update your account structure.
Go to: General Ledger -> Setup -> Chart of Accounts -> Configure account structures. Choose the account structure you will work on and click the edit button. Validate the account structure after you finished the changes.
Our experience shows that adding a new dimension to an existing account structure can cause a lot of errors. The main reason for this is that existing transactions that are not closed are considered invalid after you made changes to the account structure. The error message looks like this:
“Changes have been made to combination xxx since the combination was last used. The combination must be re-validated to be used.”
The first step to solve the issue should be:
Re-validate the account structures for the affected account (s).
1. Click General Ledger -> Setup -> Chart of Accounts -> Configure Account Structure.
2. Select the Account Structure that affected account number is listed under.
3. Click Edit.
4. Click Validate.
5. Perform these steps for all account structures.
If that does not solve the problem Microsoft provides Hotfixes on the Partner Source Page.
You can go the Partner Source page -> Support -> Self Support -> Hotfixes
Here you will find Hotfixes for:
- Run the foreign currency revaluation in Dynamics AX 2012. KB Article number: 2661912
- Try to create a credit note for correction in Dynamics AX 2012. KB Article number: 2670940
- Relieve or reverse a prior transaction after you make some changes to the account structure in Dynamics AX 2012. KB Article number: 2579342
- Reverse a bank check for a payment journal in Dynamics AX 2012 KB Article number: 2713136